Tuesday 12 November 2013

Ideas for Colour Scheme, Font & Costume

After researching the interests of my target audience I have now tried to gain different ideas about potential colour schemes and fonts. I have also been researching costumes and dress that is typical of my genre.


This image board that I have created is made up of images of different pop stars on magazine covers and magazine photo shoots. I have looked at all these images because I wanted to look for similarities between costumes and dress within the way pop stars are presented in the media.
I have tried to get my images from magazines that have a similar target audience as I can get inspiration and ideas about how to present my 'pop star' on and in my magazine. After looking at these images I have found that these celebrities are usually presented in a positive way, the images do not give bad ideas or connotations I think this is because many of these pop stars are known by and have many fans of a younger age and they can be easily influenced. I think that depending what age range the music stars fan base is has an impact on the way they are presented in a magazine.
I also think they are styled in a way that fits the particular issue of the magazine, for example I don't think you would find a cover star in a vest top and shorts when the issue came out in December.





These are the fonts used for existing music magazines that are of the same genre mine will be.

The image board above I have made out of potential fonts I could use for my music magazine. I look at the fonts used on the front covers of music magazines that had a  similar target audience to me. Also when I was collecting images for my costume mood board I noticed that most of the magazine names where written in capital letters, I think this effect is used so that the title stands out on the page. Out of the three existing fonts I have placed above I believe that Billboard magazine is the most similar to what I want my magazine to be. I think that their masthead font is effective because the letters are sharp and stand out on a page. They have used primary colours to fill empty spaces in the letters which I think appeals to a unisex audience. 
I have looked at fonts that would appeal to my target audience, ones where the lettering is big and can be made out clearly.  


When I looked at existing magazines I noticed that most of them had three main colours throughout the magazine. here I have created three different colour schemes that each have three colours, as my magazine is unisex I have tried to avoid having the majority of colours in a scheme be pink or blue as I think that this would make my magazine be seen as just for one gender.


No comments:

Post a Comment